Sunday, October 24, 2010

Drinks, Drugs, or Dinner?

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/national_world&id=7608052


http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/world/Former+homeless+gives+back/3580211/story.html


http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/virginia/homeless-man-donates-money-to-charity-091610

Disclaimer: 


Above are three examples of homeless people with good hearts that have chosen the path of honesty rather than deceit. Since I came across these examples within 2 minutes, I believe it is safe to say that there are plenty more out there that can be trusted. All I ask is that you read the following blog with an open mind and an open heart. You are entitled to your own opinion, as I am to mine. Just try to see where I am coming from. My ultimate goal in this is that we can learn to treat others as equals, and to trust in humanity once again.........




Since I am choosing to reflect on a controversial subject, I am fully prepared for varying opinions on this particular topic. Many of you have most likely had a personal experience with this and have thus formed a strong opinion on the subject. I, for one, have had mixed feelings on the matter for years, but have finally chosen to believe the best in others.


Since moving to the 3rd largest city in the United States just over a year ago, my eyes have been opened to diversity. I have also encountered more homeless people in this past year than I have in my entire life. Now, I know merely mentioning "the homeless" is making several of you roll your eyes due to preconceived notions.


"Why can't they get a job like the rest of us?" "What makes them think I have any money to spare? These are tough times for everyone!" Or, even more commonly, I hear: "Why would I waste my money on someone that is just going to spend it on drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes?"


I am not saying that these opinions are not warranted. Even in my personal experience, I have been disappointed more than once by the reactions of some when offered food instead of cash, or warm socks instead of a beer. However, I truly believe with all my heart that there are plenty of homeless people that genuinely prefer food, a warm coat, and a bed to sleep in (instead of the alternative: a cardboard box) much more than alcohol and drugs.


While there are plenty of homeless people that truly are lazy and have no desire to ever get a real job, I know this is not always the case. What about the sixty year old man that lost his job due to company lay-offs and had to foreclose on his home because he could no longer pay the mortgage? How about the woman whose husband divorced her after 35 years of marriage and left her with no money, assets, or home? I could name several more examples of those who, unfortunately, have been dealt tough circumstances and are forced to cope with the inevitable: being tossed onto the street. And who are we to judge them?? Maybe they are a drug addict, a scam artist, or a struggling alcoholic....Or maybe--just maybe-- this way of living is new to them. Perhaps a means to an end; the only feasible option to feed themselves while they search for a job and a path to a better life.


I am tired of people mocking me for having compassion for the homeless. Is it really that amusing that I would drop a $5 bill in a cup? Or, if I happen to have warm socks in my purse and feel compelled to give them to the man outside with horrible frostbite walking on self-made cardboard shoes in the middle of January? Maybe they appreciated the gesture, maybe they didn't. Perhaps he used that $5 for McDonalds, perhaps he didn't. The truth is I really don't care. The fact of the matter is that even when I feel I am in extreme financial trouble, I still have twenty times more than those out on the corner that are struggling just to eat once a day. Does it make me naive to give someone the benefit of the doubt every now and then and drop some spare change into a bucket?


I don't care what people think anymore. If there is even a slim chance the homeless woman used the money for lunch, it was worth it. With the holiday season right around the corner, I hope we can all find it in our hearts to treat those less fortunate than us with more respect. If you cannot help them monetarily, that is absolutely understandable. Just try looking them in the eye next time you pass them on the corner instead of avoiding their gaze at all costs. It is not our place to judge them and make assumptions. I am guilty of doing it myself. I'll admit that it is hard not to draw our own conclusions about why they may be begging instead of working. But only God knows their circtumstances. It's taken me a long time to realize a very simple truth: that they are people too..people that deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt. ***

7 comments:

  1. Trista...one blog post in, and well on your way! i enjoyed reading this, and i appreciate material that stops and makes us think! its healthy for the mind, and soul. so thanks for sharing! i look forward to following your mind. :)

    ~Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Adam! That means a lot coming from a professional blogger. =) This is something that has bothered me a lot this past year, so I decided to put it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trist! i'm so glad you have a blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick to your guns Trista! Excellent commentary and a wonderful, thought provoking start! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post Trista, I am definitely guilty of a negative attitude towards the MANY people standing on a street corner/sidewalk/freeway exit. Thank you for the reminder and just so you know, when I see people standing on the street corner/sidewalk/freeway exit or what have you, I will think of you and your words of wisdom. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trista, good blog! Very controversial topic for sure. When in doubt tho I think u can never go wrong giving food, warm socks, or blankets. Then u know they are not buying drugs and alcohol with your hard earned money, but yet u can still help them! But avoiding eye contact is something I find myself doing and I really shouldn't, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God knows your heart, Trista. And whether or not they spent that $5 on dinner or "otherwise," God sees that your efforts and smiles.

    ReplyDelete